Radio Ratings: SCA hits the double sweet spot in Melbourne with #1 and #2 FM Breakfast
Welcome to the first GfK metro radio survey of 2019.
Radio Today‘s comprehensive rolling coverage returns this year, and as always, we will reveal all the market #1s and GfK ratings cards from 9:30am.
We will also bring you the big talking points, headlines, and top takeaways from each metro market; Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
Keep checking back throughout the day for market analysis, as well as DAB+ ratings and how the networks will play a game we like to call The Spin.
Survey #1 for 2019 was conducted by GfK for Commercial Radio Australia between Sunday, January 20 and Saturday, March 2.
- Smoothfm is still Sydney’s #1 station overall on FM, rising to a 9.7% (+0.6) share of listening among People 10+.
- There were overall dips for Nova 96.9 (-2.1) and KIIS FM (-1.1) but Kyle & Jackie O remained strong on Breakfast, holding 10.1% (-0.4) in top spot.
- Fitzy & Wippa also lost listeners, falling to 6.4% (-2.0).
- Triple M Sydney listeners may take some time to warm to a new show helmed by Lawrence Mooney, with the Breakfast show falling to 4.7% (-1.5).
- It was better news for SCA at 2DayFM, with the station up to 5.9% overall (+0.5), and a huge jump to 11.3% (+4.0) in their 25-39 bullseye demo, but both SCA stations are now behind Ben & Liam (5.2%) on triple j Breakfast.
- Meantime, Ben Fordham and Ross Greenwood wrestled back Drive for 2GB from the ABC.
#1 FM Overall – smoothfm
#1 AM Overall – 2GB
#1 FM Breakfast – KIIS: Kyle & Jackie O
#1 AM Breakfast – 2GB: Alan Jones
#1 FM Drive – smoothfm: Byron Webb
#1 AM Drive – 2GB: Ben Fordham/Ross Greenwood
- It’s a huge survey win for Southern Cross Austereo in Melbourne, as Fox FM retains its #1 Breakfast spot, moving into double digits with a 10.2% share of listening (+0.7).
- Fox also claims market-leading positions overall on the FM band, with double digits (+0.8), and for Hughesy & Kate who remain top dogs at Drive.
- Triple M’s Hot Breakfast moves into #2 spot on FM Brekky (and Kennedy Molloy are up to #2 on Drive), while there were swings away from Gold’s Christian O’Connell, KIIS FM’s Jase & PJ and also smoothfm in that daypart.
- KIIS was also the biggest loser overall, down to 4.8% (-1.3), while triple j was up +0.9 overall and Ben & Liam on Brekky were up to 5.6 (+1.2).
#1 FM Overall – Fox FM
#1 AM Overall – 3AW
#1 FM Breakfast – Fox FM: Fifi, Fev & Byron
#1 AM Breakfast – 3AW: Ross & John
#1 FM Drive – Fox: Hughesy & Kate
#1 AM Drive – 3AW: Tom Elliott
- Nova pulls away from a typically congested pack in Brisbane, knocking Triple M out of market-leading positions overall with 12.9% (+1.6), and on Breakfast with 12.9% (+2.9).
- The departure of Lawrence Mooney is followed by a big swing away from Triple M Breakfast of (-2.4), but the show remains in second spot.
- It’s better news for SCA with Hit105 rising to 11.2% (+1.2) at Brekky.
- It was a decent book for 97.3FM overall, with the ARN station rejoining the pack in double digits overall with 10.4% (+0.7) despite a fall to 9.0% on Breakfast (-0.5).
- On the AM side of things, 4KQ’s Laurel, Gary & Mark reclaim #1 at Breakfast from the ABC.
#1 FM Overall – Nova
#1 AM Overall – 4KQ
#1 FM Breakfast – Nova: Ash, Kip, Luttsy & Susie
#1 AM Breakfast – 4KQ: Laurel, Gary & Mark
#1 FM Drive – Nova: Kate, Tim & Marty
#1 AM Drive – 4KQ: Nick Michaels
- In a result that will surprise nobody, the ever-consistent Mix 102.3 is the #1 station in Adelaide overall with a 13.3% share of listening among People 10+.
- Jodie & Soda also retain their FM Brekky mantle, on 13.3% (+0.5).
- Hit107 had a strong book among the rest of the contenders, rising to 9.4% overall (+1.3) and with new Breakfast show Rebecca Morse & Andrew Costello on 7.8% (+2.1).
- Will & Woody weren’t able to arrest their fall on Drive, dipping to 12.1% (-1.1) as Nova’s Kate, Tim & Marty streak ahead on a whopping 15.2% (+3.0).
- ABC Adelaide pulled off an impressive result, #1 overall on AM, while Ali Clarke is the #1 Breakfast show across the entire market with a rise to 14.4% (+1.0).
#1 FM Overall – Mix
#1 AM Overall – ABC Adelaide
#1 FM Breakfast – Mix: Jodie & Soda
#1 AM Breakfast – ABC: Ali Clarke
#1 FM Drive – Nova: Kate, Tim & Marty
#1 AM Drive – FIVEaa: Rowey & Bicks
- Mix94.5 ended 2018 at the #1 FM station overall, and it has further solidified its market-leading status on Brekky & Drive.
- Clairsy, Matt & Kymba jumped to a 15.1% share of listening (+1.8), ahead of Nova Breakfast who fell -1.7 to a still respectable 13.2%.
- Kennedy Molloy claimed the #1 spot on Drive with 14.6% (+1.0), pulling out ahead of Kate, Tim & Marty with just -0.2 separating the two shows.
- The results weren’t as rosy for Hit, falling to 9.4% (-1.6) overall and also dropping -1.0 on Breakfast, while 96FM dropped on Breakfast and Drive, as well as falling to 7.8% (-0.8) overall.
- triple j had a fantastic book, rising to an 11% share (+2.0) while Ben & Liam (+2.7) are now above Hit and 96FM on Breakfast.
- The return of Russell Woolf to ABC Perth has paid dividends, with the station claiming #1 AM Drive and Breakfast, and retaining top spot overall.
#1 FM Overall – Mix94.5
#1 AM Overall – ABC Perth
#1 FM Breakfast – Mix94.5: Clairsy, Matt & Kymba
#1 AM Breakfast – ABC: Nadia Mitsopoulos & Russell Woolf
#1 FM Drive – Mix94.5: Kennedy Molloy
#1 AM Drive – ABC: Geoff Hutchison