Beware of Ryan Rathbone

Ryan Rathbone is the Content Director of ARN’s MIX 106.5 in Sydney.

If you’re competing against Ryan Rathbone, you need to know that he’s one of the brightest & most creative programmers in the country today.

I first met Ryan in Rockhampton back in 2003 when I was working as a consultant to RG Capital Radio.  Ryan became PD of SEA.FM & 4RO & I was blown away by his creativity. He reminded me of a young Guy Dobson.

I said to Rod Brice at the time that Ryan will go all the way. Rod didn’t buy it & I clearly understood his perspective.

Here I was as an esp consultant with all care and no responsibility and Rod, as Group PD of RG Capital Radio, with Ryan’s left field thinking creating all kinds of bushfires for Rod. I have a lot of time for Rod Brice. He had an incredible number of radio stations that he was responsible for & he did a great job steering them in the right direction.

Since 2003 I’ve kept an eye on Ryan’s career and even recommended him for some programming roles. He missed out on one of those positions because he failed the psych test. I wonder how many other creative radio executives fail the same test?

Early last year I asked Paul Thompson who the best PDs were at DMG at the time and he nominated Ryan as one of them. Late last year Duncan Campbell was smart enough to hire him away from DMG into his current role and I’m sure Ryan has created some bushfires for him.

All Ryan has to do now is build the ratings at MIX 106.5 and he’ll make all the Network Group Content Directors nervous.

brad march(20:44pm 29 Feb 2012)
Ryan Looking forward to hearing your work at Mix
Scott Muller(23:24pm 29 Feb 2012)
Yes, without exception, Ryan was undoubtedly the most outstanding programmer of all the DMG programmers back then, and will no doubt be the same for ARN.
Tony James(0:05am 01 Mar 2012)
I was a weekender/floater at Star on the Central Coast, he was a "PD's PD" back then! Knows his stuff and has a really rare quality of being a "leader" not a boss playing politics. Good on you Ryan, you show em mate!
Ryan Rathbone(4:58am 01 Mar 2012)
As a result of this article I’ve been informed by Duncan that ARN have just invested in more fire extinguishers… Greg I appreciate your support throughout my career thank you. As for the psych test, its true I failed with flying colours... I doubt anyone would really be that surprised?
Mike Byrne(5:04am 01 Mar 2012)
Ryan... or Nudge as we new him when he was on air... has a rare combination of youthful enthusiasm and a mature head. Nothing wrong with a few bushfires either, they keep all those suits on their toes! Good luck Ryan, i'm looking forward to seeing you acheive great success at Mix.
matt bern(8:10am 01 Mar 2012)
arhh RYANO (does anyone call him that? - oh ok it's just me)
i had a guess it was him....what a plug. i sometimes listen in - mix is sounding great, now lets see some bloody numbers!!
good luck Ryano Rathbone
Mike Hammond(23:51pm 01 Mar 2012)
Well don't know about the rest of you but I can hear it already in the littlt things like creativity of sweepers, cleanup of the clock, sticking to message and obvious sweetening of rotates and image tracks.
In fact I said so to DC only the other day.
Don't worry about anymore fire extinguishers Ryan...this market needs a bit of a burnoff!!
Smithy...I think it also speaks volumes about his smarts that he obviously hasn't provided you with any quotes for your piece - that tells me he's not one to bang on about himself...just gets the job done!!!

BTW Congrats again to the RT team.
Gregg Easton(0:05am 09 Mar 2012)
I had the pleasure of working closely with Ryan as his APD/MD on a complete format relaunch. Although ultimately the format failed through factors beyond our control, Ryan's creativity and leadership was inspirational. The comparison to another former PD of mine - Guy Dobson is not exaggeration. Go Ryano!
dan(1:06am 09 Mar 2012)
wow Ryan's tyres are getting a pretty good pumping here, and at the risk of over-inflating them - I agree with Greg's comments entirely. Ryan was a ripper Program Director on the Central Coast, and in Brisbane, and is a great 'get' by Duncan Campbell and ARN.
keith fowler(2:25am 09 Mar 2012)
fire extinguishers and now tyres.
Ryan could be a "virtual" side business for you in the sale of overstocked metaphors :-)

Seriously looking forward to the coming months.

to quote "if you are not living on the edge you're taking up too much space'
Paul Blunt(11:26am 16 Mar 2012)
I'd like to think that there was a Breaky crew in Rocky back in those days that helped Ryno look good hahaha. Ryno is a rarity among PD's as he is a genuinely nice guy who makes you want to do well as much for him as yourself. You deserve every credit that your outstanding career delivers.
Jase(5:12am 11 May 2012)
I knew Ryan from his 1st PD job....I was in Goulburn and he was at Cooma. He was only about 19 and always had a great attitude......doesn't suprise me at all how far he's gone.
Cheryl(4:41am 15 Jun 2012)
No surprise there. Good on your Ryan. You were certainly a great asset at Nova Brisbane
Meshel Laurie(20:58pm 10 Oct 2012)
Was I the only one unnerved by a PD who still skateboarded?
Anonymous(3:18am 16 Dec 2013)
Reading back over this article now makes me wonder if poor Ryan was the brain child behind the Kiis initiative, but was sadly shown the door before his baby could be born?
Guy Ashford(4:11am 16 Dec 2013)
F%$K me, there's been a few "bush fires" and some tyres deflated around here lately too:-)
Julie (6:26am 22 May 2014)
Hey Ryan, perhaps you're most important and prestigious radio shows you worked on was back in 1999/2000. Where we worked together as executives!
Need to get in touch, shoot me an email.

I am a real live breathing human person

Tasmanian Broadcasters has a vacancy for a Talkback Producer.  Details

KIIS 1065 has a vacancy for a Producer on The Kyle and Jackie O Show.  Details

SCA has a vacancy for a Casual Journalist - Brisbane. Details

Grant Broadcasters has a vacancy for a Digital Content Manager - Geelong.  Details.

Nova Entertainment has a vacancy for an Executive Producer for Kate,Tim and Marty. 12 month maternity leave role. - Sydney. Details.

96.5 FM has a vacancy for a Content Director. Details.

96.5 FM are looking for On Air talent for their Talent Bank.  Details

SCA has a vacancy for an Announcer / Operations. -Triple M Brisbane. Details.

Light FM has a vacancy for a Casual Announcer. Details.

Macquarie Media has a vacancy for a Panel Operator, Nights with Steve Price - Sydney.  Details

Canberra FM has a vacancy for a Studio Technician. Details.

SCA has a vacancy for a General Manager - Mackay. Details

SCA has a vacancy for a Breakfast Announcer - Merredin WA.  Details.

Nova has a vacancy for an Assistant Producer for Smallzy's Surgery - Sydney. Details

Grant Broadcasters has a vacancy for a Broadcast Engineer - South Australia. Details.

Chilli FM has a vacancy for a Breakfast Personality. Details

SCA has a vacancy for a Producer / Editor Prep-Air - Sydney.  Details.

SCA has a vacancy for an Announcer - Bunbury. Details