Hit Newcastle loses Breakfast host Simon Baggs
Simon Baggs won’t return to Hit106.9 Newcastle‘s Breakfast show in 2020.
After three years at the Southern Cross Austereo station and another two as part of the Nick, Jess & Simon Breakfast show, Baggs is departing Newcastle for greener pastures.
Baggs began at the station as a fill-in jock but quickly became an integral part of Breakfast, singing in and producing many a parody music video with his co-hosts.
“I’ve had the greatest time with a great bunch of people in Newcastle. I’m really proud of what we all achieved over that past two and half years, and I wish all the best to the team in the future,” he said.
Baggs will wrap up his time with a final show on Friday, December 20, with a replacement to be announced in due course.
“Simon is an incredible broadcaster with a wealth of radio knowledge that will be missed by Hit Newcastle and our loyal listeners. We are sad to see him go but we respect his decision to move on,” said SCA group content director for NSW & ACT, Jase Allen.
“In the two and a half years he has walked his way around Newcastle and raised over $100,000 for the community, helped singles find love in Bali and his commitment to better himself and the product of the show has seen the ideas taken to a new level. Simon will definitely be missed on and off the air in Newcastle.”
As of the latest GfK Radio Ratings survey, Hit Newcastle Breakfast was rating a 9.9% share of listening (-1.6), behind stablemates Triple M, plus ABC Newcastle and triple j.
Baggs is the latest in a number of SCA talent to depart the network over the past week, with the most high-profile exit so far being Triple M Melbourne Breakfast host Wil Anderson.
Triple M Australia By Night host Stephen Cenatiempo and SCA Fraser Coast content director/announcer Lee Bevington are also leaving the network.
SCA also announced that Kate Langbroek will be permanently replaced by Ed Kavalee on its national Drive show.