Matty Johns will not return to Triple M in 2019
Triple M has revealed that Matty Johns has decided to leave radio.
As reported by Radio Today earlier this week, Johns was sick of the early starts and had requested a move away from The Grill Team in 2019.
Johns has reportedly asked for “another role in the business”, but a statement from Triple M released today revealed that the former NRL star is leaving radio entirely.
“We’ve been grateful to have Matty as a part of our Triple M family for such a long time and while we’re disappointed he won’t be continuing on The Grill Team, we understand that with his other media commitments, he needs a break from breakfast radio,” said Triple M head of content Mike Fitzpatrick.
Replacing Johns after eight years won’t be easy, especially as his departure comes less than a year after fellow long-serving Grill Team member Mark Geyer (now hosting The Rush Hour).
“We’ll use this opportunity to explore all options, get the best person to join our breakfast team in 2019, and keep delivering a great entertaining Triple M breakfast show for Sydney,” said Fitzy.
Johns has been in the gig since 2011.
“I would like to thank everyone at Triple M, in particular everyone associated with the Grill Team,” said Johns.
“The eight years have been so enjoyable, with plenty of laughs and plenty of great memories, it hasn’t felt like a job at all.
“The challenge has been juggling my late-night commitments with Fox Sports, along with the early hours of breakfast radio.
After eight years, that can take a toll and for that reason I’ve decided to take a break from radio. Not an easy decision, but the right one.
“Once again, thank you to all at Triple M, you’ve been terrific to me.”
Triple M will send Matty off with a big celebration over the next five weeks, with his final day being The Grill Team’s last broadcast of the year – December 7.